Master of Auslan-English Interpreting
This degree offers professional development for paraprofessional and professional level interpreters working between Auslan (Australian Sign Language) and English. You will develop your ability to be a critically reflective practitioner with solid practical skills. This degree provides you with a foundation of theory in translation and interpreting and a strong focus on the application of theory to practical skills development.
- Flexible study options, offered with a combination of distance/online study plus intensive 3-day on-campus blocks.
- This degree will attract Auslan/English interpreters from around Australia.
- A significant practicum component which is endorsed by a wide range of organisations.
- Opportunity to participate in the Medical Signbank Project
- Limited CSP Support
|North Ryde (Sydney)|
Minimum course duration
3 years (part time)
Session 1 (March)
Suitable if you are a paraprofessional level Auslan/English interpreter who want to develop your skills to a professional level. Also suitable if you are a professional Auslan/English interpreter who is already qualified at a professional level but may not have had formal training and you want to further develop your interpreting skills and analysis.
• Australian Bachelor degree or recognised equivalent • Minimum GPA of 2.50 (out of 4.00) • NAATI Paraprofessional accreditation in Auslan-English interpreting • Minimum two years relevant post-accreditation work experience • Minimum English Language Proficiency IELTS or IELTS equivalent of 7.0 overall, with minimum 6.5 in each band
All applicants for undergraduate or postgraduate coursework studies at Macquarie University are required to provide evidence of proficiency in English.
For more information see English Language Requirements.
You may satisfy the English language requirements if you have completed:
- senior secondary studies equivalent to the NSW HSC
- one year of Australian or comparable tertiary study in a country of qualification
Work experience requirements
Minimum 2 years post-paraprofessional accreditation work as an Auslan/English interpreter, ideally in a range of interpreting settings and with a variety of clients.
What you will study
|General requirements||Credit Points|
|Minimum number of credit points at 800 level or above||48|
|Completion of other specific minimum requirements as set out below|
The following outlines the units (subjects) to be studied within this master
You will work in a range of interpreting settings, as freelance practitioners and as staff interpreters for private and public organisations. Professional level training and accreditation broadens the contexts and complexity of interpreting work available, whilst increasing the confidence required to do the work.