Bachelor of Advanced Science with a specialisation in Biology
View course for international students.
You will benefit from special advanced biology units not available to other students. Many students will go on to further postgraduate studies in biology.
- As numbers are strictly limited, the small number of students in the program enables you to receive individual attention, get to know the academic staff, and have direct contact with researchers.
- Opportunity to gain practical experience working in research laboratories within the University from the first year of enrolment, as part of your degree. Students undertake a research project in third year.
- Take part in lively discussions of hot topics in biology with active researchers from a range of fields including marine biology, palaeontology and medicine.
- Students are offered a scholarship for research internships with staff in the appropriate discipline, normally during vacation period.
- Opportunity to take part in research and gain practical experience working in research laboratories both within the university and associated organisations such as Australian Museum, Taronga Zoo and The Royal Botanic Gardens as part of your degree
3 years full-time
North Ryde (Sydney)
Gifted and talented students in the area of biology.
HSC Mathematics, Biology and one other science subject.
English Language Requirements
All applicants for undergraduate or postgraduate coursework studies at Macquarie University are required to provide evidence of proficiency in English.
For more information see English Language Requirements.
You may satisfy the English language requirements if you have completed:
- senior secondary studies equivalent to the NSW HSC
- one year of Australian or comparable tertiary study in a country of qualification
What you will study
|Degree requirements||Credit Points|
|Minimum number of credit points for the degree||72|
|Minimum number of credit points at 200 level or above||42|
|Minimum number of credit points at 300 level or above||18|
|Completion of a Qualifying Major for the Bachelor of Advanced Science|
|Completion of a designated People unit|
|Completion of a designated Planet unit|
|Completion of other specific minimum requirements as set out below|
The following outlines the units (subjects) to be studied within this specialisation
|100 level||Credit Points|
|Required||BIOL188||Advanced Science (Biology) 1||3|
|300 level||Credit Points|
|Required||BIOL388||Advanced Science (Biology) 3||3|
|Additional level||Credit Points|
|Balance of credit points required (Electives)||42|
|Total credit points required to satisfy this specialisation||72|
- biotechnology industry
- environmental scientist
- fisheries officer
- forensic scientist
- hospital scientist
- national parks officer
- patent officer
- pharmaceutical industry
- postgraduate study and research
- science journalism and broadcasting
- area health services
- Australian Museum
- Australian Quarantine Inspection Service
- Children's Medical Research Institute
- Department of Environment, Climate Change and Water
- Department of Planning
- Department of Primary Industry
- Douglass Hanly Moir
- environmental protection authorities
- local government
- National Parks and Wildlife Service
- Sydney Catchment Authority
- Taronga Zoo